Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Mermaid Ocean Cake


It's a busy birthday month.  With three kids who have birthdays within three weeks, I feel like I'm in constant party planning mode.  First up is the Babes, our youngest daughter, who turned 5 yesterday.  She has been waiting to turn 5 for 'years and years' she said.  Seriously, the day after she turned 4 she started asking, "when will I be 5?".  We didn't have a big party, just went out to dinner at her restaurant of choice (Burger King) because she loves cheeseburgers (not hamburgers, cheeseburgers).  Then we came home for some cake, ice cream and presents.  She wanted a Mermaid cake, not Ariel, just mermaid.  I wasn't sure how I was going to make a cake in the shape of a mermaid, so I did the next best thing:  an ocean cake with mermaid tails sticking out of it.  It was pretty easy and she loved it.


She was clear that she also wanted it to be a rainbow tie dye cake.  I sent my husband to the store to find such a cake and he came back with this Funfetti cake.  Not quite rainbow tie dye, but my daughter said it was perfect.  Glad she is easy to please.  She helped me make the cake by mixing it, watching it bake and decorating it.  I used white icing with some drops of blue food coloring in it to make it the perfect shade of ocean water.  I spread it onto the cake in a swirly motion so it would look more ocean-y. 


She added five gummy fish, since she's turning five. 


We also added five mermaid tails.  To make the tails, I just cut out mermaid tails using my Silhouette Cameo.  I did a google search to find a mermaid tail outline I liked then saved it to my Silhouette using THIS tutorial from Make.a.do.  I cut it out onto some mermaid like scrapbook paper that my daughter picked out.  I glued a toothpick between two cutouts so I could stick it into the cake.  This is a great way to customize a cake.  





 And here is the finished product.  


Since she wanted a mermaid cake, I ran with that theme and many of her gifts were mermaid themed.  I already showed you the mermaid blanket I made for her in THIS POST

 I also made a mermaid skirt which I'll post about next.




Subscribe to CONTROLLING Craziness and get my blog updates via email.   Don't miss anymore posts, click HERE to get email updates.


And don't forget to follow me on FacebookTwitterGoogle+, and Pinterest.