Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

A Rainbow Unicorn Birthday Party - sort of

Monday was the Babes' 4th birthday.  For months she had been requesting a rainbow unicorn party.  I did what I could starting with some rainbow cupcakes and a cake.


I made some homemade icing using the following recipe:
4 cups powdered sugar
1 stick butter
1 tsp vanilla
approx 6 tbsp milk 
(adding a little more to make it creamy but not too much or it's runny and you'll need to add more powdered sugar to compensate).

Once I had the icing made, I divided it into 6 bowls and added food coloring to make the colors of the rainbow.

Here I am half way through icing the cupcakes and cake.


And here's the completed rainbow cupcakes and rainbow cake!


Since this wasn't just a rainbow party, but a unicorn party too, I wanted to add some unicorn flare to the cupcakes.  I looked in the cake decorating aisles but couldn't find any unicorn or pony cup cake toppers.  So I made my own.


I found some My Little Pony stickers and stuck them onto the ends of a toothpick as shown below.  Then the Babes added them to her cupcakes.  I know not all the ponies are unicorns but it still worked.  I expanded the theme to include horses, because I'm the mom and I can do that.


She really wanted to ride a unicorn for her birthday, but since I couldn't find one, we did the next best thing and went for a pony ride.  So of course she needed to get some cowboy boots.  She was so excited.  Not only did she get to ride a pony, but she also learned how to brush it.  


Big sister got to ride a horse too, while the Spencinator helped guide the little pony.  We went to the stables where the older two had attended horse camp this summer.  It was a fun family outing and everyone loved being around the horses again.  Overall this was a simple birthday party and fun for all ages.



 


I would love for you to follow me on FacebookTwitterGoogle+, and Pinterest.