Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Monday, August 25, 2014

Make a School Bus Cake to Celebrate the First Day of School 2014

I don't know about the kids, but I love getting back into the routine of school.  The Spencinator is now in Middle School which means his bus comes about 6:45am.  Wow, that's early.  He did great this morning, on the first day.  Up and ready without any trouble and plenty of time to spare.  I'm hoping this trend continues.  I'm sure it helped that he had all of my attention as the other kids were still asleep.



Sweetie Pie is now in 4th grade and catches her bus at 8am.  I love having one on one time with them in the morning, certainly makes things less hectic.  Remember this post about how breakfast was driving me crazy and what I did to solve it?  Well, that didn't last too long and we were back to everyone eating at the same time which brought on the craziness.  With this new school schedule, all that craziness has been eliminated.  I have peaceful mornings again.  Well, it's only been the first day, but I have high hopes.

While the older two were away at school, my 3yr old and I decided to make them for when they come home.  


A School Bus Cake to celebrate the first day of school:

I thought of this idea myself then checked Pinterest for some inspiration / instruction.  I used ideas from HERE and HERE.

It was pretty simple to make.  I just used a box cake mix and baked it in a 9 x 13 inch pan.
After it had cooled, I cut away the top left corner being sure to round the corners of the part left behind.
Then I frosted it with some homemade yellow icing.  It would have been easier to add yellow food dye to some white icing but since I didn't have white icing on hand, I made my own using THIS recipe I found on Pinterest.


I made my cake simpler by leaving it in the pan and not embellishing it too much since I didn't have those items on hand.  It still turned out pretty good, I mean you can tell it's a school bus, right?

I was counting down the hours till the kids got home from school.  I couldn't wait to hear all about their day and to eat this fun cake.

Here's how happy the kids looked coming home from school.  The Spencinator said his first day of middle school was "awesome".  And Sweetie Pie liked everything about 4th grade.

I love how the Babes wanted to be there to greet her siblings after school.  And of course dessert was a hit.


How was the first day of school for you and your kids?
And fun traditions, or snacks?


 


I would love for you to follow me on FacebookTwitterGoogle+, and Pinterest.