Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Monday, July 7, 2014

How to Clean Your Washing Machine

I've been in a cleaning, and organizing mood these last two weeks.  While I was taking a break from organizing Sweetie Pie's room (more on that in a later post), I found THIS tutorial on Pinterest for how to clean your washing machine.  I just had to try it out.  We've lived in our house 8 years and I've never cleaned our washing machine so I was surprised it wasn't any worse.


I didn't even know there was a lint catcher in the washing machine.  The first thing I did was to take off the top, ours just snapped off rather than screwed off.  Underneath was gross.  At first I thought it was mold so I got out the bleach and my favorite cleaning tool (a toothbrush) to scrub it clean.  But it turns out that it was just wet lint so wiping it out with a paper towel was easiest.  


I also soaked and cleaned the top parts of the lint catcher.  Some of the wet lint was in hard to reach places and a knife worked good to scrape that out.


Once each part was clean and lint free, I just put it back together.  I also ran the washing machine with just water and bleach to clean the rest of it out, plus I wiped down the rest of the surfaces.  I made sure my next load of laundry was 'whites' in case there was any bleach left over, it wouldn't ruin anything.

Anyone else clean their washing machine?  Did you even know it had a lint trap?

For more cleaning tips, be sure to check out these posts:
How to clean marks off walls
Homemade carpet cleaner
How to clean the ice maker
Get rid of that toilet bowl ring
A rusty red shower no more





I would love for you to follow me on FacebookTwitterGoogle+, and Pinterest.